The Future of Fashion design contest, in partnership with Foschini, is searching for SA’s next big fashion designer.
This exciting competition aims to spotlight incredible local talent. It’s a platform for young designers to showcase their work and kick-start their career with a R50 000 cash prize, and a one-year mentorship consisting of 12 one-hour monthly sessions with Foschini’s head of trend design and product development.
As SA’s next big designer, you stand to win the following:
- R50 000 cash prize
- Sewing kit, a Figure Forms’ Tailors Dummy and an Elna sewing machine, courtesy of FEDISA Fashion School
- A year-long mentorship consisting of 12 one-hour monthly sessions with Foschini’s head of trend design and product development
- Your winning design will be manufactured and sold in Foschini stores nationwide
- Your design will be photographed and featured in a fashion editorial in COSMOPOLITAN magazine
- Your design will be showcased on the runway at COSMO’s Made in Africa Fashion Show later this year
- The judges are looking for creativity, innovation and an eye for technical detail
- A designer who has an unapologetic and unique take on fashion
- Designs that speak to young South Africans who like to stand out from the crowd
- Designs that make people feel confident and powerful
Download the detailed design brief and moodboard from Foschini below:
Complete all details in the form at the end of this article and use the downloadable figure-form template below to sketch six head-to-toe looks.
- You must be between the ages of 18 and 30, and be a South African citizen to enter
- All entrants to submit sketches of a six-piece capsule collection
- You have to be able to construct a garment from start to finish
- You need to be comfortable with pattern making and cutting
- Be able to sew by machine and hand
- Have an understanding of the manufacturing process
- You may be self-taught or possess official fashion qualifications
- Competition Ts & Cs apply. Competition closes on 30 April 2020
After reviewing every entry, the judges will select the top eight designers.
15 May 2020: Top eight designers announced
- Designers receive R4 000: To construct one design from their six-piece collection (the judges will choose the design)
- Two weeks to create: The designers construct their design in 14 days (to be reviewed by Foschini and COSMO)
- Shoot video: Designers will create a three-to-five-minute video (using their phone) about their design and technical process and must motivate why they are SA’s next big designer
- 60 minutes with Foschini: Designers will have a one-hour talk with Foschini to offer guidance on their designs
1 June 2020: Video submission
- Designers will submit their three-to-five minute video via WhatsApp, along with images of their completed design
5-19 June 2020: The run-through
Designers will edit their design based on feedback received from COSMO and Foschini. The final design must be completed by a date to be announced soon.
Your COSMO debut
The top eight designers will be featured in an upcoming issue of COSMOPOLITAN magazine.
COSMO Made in Africa Fashion Show
The top eight designers will showcase their work on the runway and the overall winner will be announced. For a chance to showcase your talent and win the ultimate fashion-design competition in SA, be sure to download the template to sketch your designs and complete the form below. Read all the competition terms and conditions here.
Like this article? Sign up to our newsletter to get more articles like this delivered straight to your inbox.
This post is sponsored by Foschini.