Here at COSMO, we’re pretty shopping obsessed. With inspiration hitting us at all angles, at all times, it’s impossible NOT to find something new to obsess over. Maybe your fave Insta star is spotted sporting a new trend that you love. Maybe the Zara outfits in the window are looking good. Next thing you know, you’re strutting your stuff in something new. And yes, you’re looking your best – but your bank account isn’t. You snap an OOTD, post it and the likes roll in. Moments pass and you’ve already spotted something new that you need.
It’s pretty crazy how easy it is to talk yourself into buying something that you don’t necessarily want and definitely don’t need. The sartorial temptation is everywhere, and your wardrobe keeps filling up but you have nothing to wear. The key? To shop smarter, try out the Power Of The Pause.
How the Power Of The Pause will cure your shopping addiction:
It goes like this:
- You spot the item. You must have it.
- Walk away (or close the website).
- Give yourself two hours. Are you still obsessed with it?
- Now for the true test: two days have passed. Are you still thinking about it?
- While you wait, answer these questions:
– Do I have the cash for it right now?
– Does it go with at least 10 different items in my wardrobe?
– Do I have anything remotely similar to this?
– Can I name two to three different occasions or activities to wear it to?
Answered mostly no? Make like Craig David and keep walking away.
Answered mostly yes? Then the item deserves a place in your wardrobe!