We love Chanel and we love Karl – he is one of the most fascinating (and rather peculiar) designers out there. We’ve found 7 amazing things we’re pretty sure you never knew about him.
1. Karl loves using makeup to create fashion sketches. His go-to palette? Shu Uemura’s pressed eye shadows. The red colour in the palette was exclusively designed for him.
2. Karl’s director of atelier, Anita Briey, has been working for him for over 50 years – she started as an intern in the ’60s.
3. Karl owns an art-and-architecture bookstore, called 7L Bookshop, situated on a quiet street in the 7th arrondissement of Paris. The big secret? At the back of the bookstore, there’s a secret photographic studio where he shoots all his own campaigns.
5. He’s had his signature ponytail since 1976.
6. He was overweight until he met designer Hedi Slimane – he lost about 42kgs in order to wear Slimane’s suits. And, as one does, he then wrote a book about it.
7. His thoughts on sweatpants? ‘Sweatpants are a sign of defeat – you lost control of your life so you bought some sweatpants’.