It’s official, beach days are here and we’re on the hunt for the most beautiful swimwear. Instead of heading to your tried-and-tested big bikini brands, why not see what’s out there locally?
Bring your A-game to the beach this summer with these five proudly South African luxe swimwear brands.
Keep scrolling to find out which brands are on our radar with their original, individual take on beachwear:
Joanna Hedley’s swimwear line BeachCult was created as a a response to a lack of European-style beach wear. She specialises in locally sourced materials with an emphasis on summery prints and resort-inspired swimwear with a fresh and modern feel. By only hiring locals and supporting the local market, BeachCult is sustainable and innovative. Currently available at Mememe, OnTrend online and Periquita or head to the online store.
1. Athena bikini set R1199, Beach Cult
2. Amalfi bikini set R1199, Beach Cult
3. Suzanna one-piece R899, Beach Cult
4. Strelitzia one-piece R799, Beach Cult
Take ownership of your extraordinary skin with new bikini brand on the block, Nude Wear. This swimwear line focuses on body positivity and diversity, featuring a series of bikinis in various skin tones (there’s one for everyone!) chosen specifically to represent the different South African beauties. The bikinis also feature adjustable straps and a seamless fit, plus with Yeezy creating a hype for errrthing nude, we’re totally on board!
Shop Nude Wear:
1. Beige bikini set R580, Nude Wear
2. Cappuccino bikini set R580, Nude Wear
3.Cocoa bikini set R580, Nude Wear
4. Burnt Sienna bikini set R580, Nude Wear
Wearable art? TheHive, founded by designer and creative Jade Ashleigh in 2014, features swimwear that’s been carefully designed, then painted and customised with beautiful African-inspired artwork including proteas, birds, bamboo, and African flora and fauna. We love her ethereal styles and silhouettes, perfect for mermaid-ing on the beach in style. Email email@example.com to find out where to buy these.
1. Pink monokini with African breasted bird R2150, TheHive
2. Bamboo halter neck with lace up back R2200, TheHive
3. Blue and white African print bikini R1300, TheHive
4. Plunge orange monokini with tropical print R2100, TheHive
5. Gold protea monokini R1800, TheHive
Nayiha is the brainchild of Swedish photographer Linnea Frank, who now lives in South Africa after falling in love with the Cape. Nayiha brings you fun and sexy swimwear that incorporates prints from photographs taken by Linnea while travelling through Africa. Bonus: if you’re looking for a cheeky Brazilian butt cut, this one’s for you.
The Nayiha website is going live on Friday 11 November.
Shop Nayiha Now:
1. Swimsuit R1099, Nayiha
2. Bikini set R1199, Nayiha
3. Swimsuit R1099, Nayiha
4. Bikini set R1199, Nayiha
If you’re more of a minimalist (and love giving back), this one’s for you! More than just a bikini designer, local swimwear brand Summerheart is devoted to empowering women, raising awareness related to gender issues and female oppression. A portion of the profits from each swimsuit sold is donated to various outreach programmes. To learn more about the charities it has partnered with, click here. Fashion for a good cause? We say yes!
1. Jasmine brief R399, Summerheart
2. Jasmine top R399, Summerheart
3. Scarlett top R399, Summerheart
4. Scarlett brief R399, Summerheart
5. Serena one-piece R799, Summerheart