Boy meets girl, boy asks girl out, boy and girl have loads of fun together…or not. While dating is exciting and can make you feel on top of the world, it’s also got an ugly side.
Here’s what we wish we could change.
1. People can be casually cruel. Yes, even you. How many of us have ever decided that it’s easier to ditch a guy’s calls and ignore his texts rather than tell him, honestly, that he’s just not for you?
2. …And, sadly, the person who’s cruellest usually has the upper hand. Admit it: the less often you hear from him, the more you want to see him.
3. There’s no such thing as hard-and-fast plans any more. Even if he’s picked out the restaurant and you’ve planned your outfit, it’s no biggie for him to change his mind at the last moment. We’re a generation for whom an arrangement isn’t a binding commitment, and although this might not bother you when your bestie decides she wants to stay in tonight rather than see that movie with you, it’s not that cool when you realise that you’re not your date’s first priority.
4. He saw your missed call. He got read your message. He’s posted an Instagram picture, so you know he’s online. In the days before Whatsapp and it’s blue ticks, you could have told yourself he’d lost your number, but with tech you just can’t fool yourself.
Related: How Far Would You Go for a Date?
5. Who he is on Facebook isn’t who he is in real life. Online, he’s chilled, laughs a lot and has a clever word for everyone. In the flesh he’s awkward and high maintenance. It’s time to realise good on paper (well, screen) doesn’t mean good in person.