Being all the way down here has its own unique challenges. Here are 14 truths that bond all short girls.
1. You always get described as ‘cute’. No! I want to be hot! I want to be sexy! Newborn babies are cute. Puppies are cute. I am a sensual, desirable woman.
2. You always have your ID checked. You’re 23 but bouncers still side-eye you as if you’re your best friend’s12-year-old stepsister or something.
3. Sometimes people are genuinely confused about which menu to give you. Granted, these must be half-blind waiters who can’t make out facial features, but still. Do I look like I’m here for four fish fingers and some chips?
Related: 9 Short-Girl Shopping Problems
4. You can’t reach half the clothes in a shop. Everyone knows all the good tops and dresses are on the highest shelf. It’s probably done deliberately. Whatever. We didn’t want your clothes anyway.
5. Ditto anything on the top shelf of a grocery store. NO CEREAL FOR YOU.
6. If your boyfriend is tall, you sometimes wonder if you look like his child. Especially when you’re holding his hand and walking across the street.
7. Your head becomes a place for people to rest their arms. Now your hair is a mess and you’re annoyed with everyone.
8. You have tiny feet. And every pair of shoes you like is available in size 6 and up. Of course.
9. When you’re driving, you’re too low for the sun visor to block out any sun. Now you are blind on the N1. It’s a dangerous life, but somebody’s gotta live it.
10. Actually, you’re pretty sure you look illegal behind the wheel. You can barely see over the steering wheel. It’s kind of suspicious.
11. Concerts are impossible. No golden circle for you, unless you want to gaze straight into some guy’s ponytail all night.
12. You always have to walk fast because two of your steps equal one of everyone else’s. Trying to keep up with your friend in a mall is a workout.
13. Crop tops. Or, as we call them, tops.
14. Trying to clamber onto a barstool is actually treacherous. And once you’re up there you can’t help but wonder if you’ll ever get down again. This barstool is your home now.