Whether you’re a fan of the term or not, there’s no question that we need feminism. Here are 13 signs that you’re a total feminist, even if you don’t know it.
1. You believe in equal pay for equal work. Any why wouldn’t you? The opposite wouldn’t make any sense at all! Except that’s exactly what we’re facing…
2. You feel like there are too few women in powerful positions. You find it shocking that fewer big businesses are run by women than by men named John. You’d like to see a change, please.
3. You don’t demand chivalry, but you’ll accept it with grace. You don’t act like you’re ‘owed’ special treatment just because you’re a woman. You’re definitely capable of opening a door for yourself. But if a man tries to pay for your date, you know causing a scene would be unnecessary – you’ll pay it back at a later stage.
4. You believe you deserve as much respect as any man. You hate feeling like people are talking over you, or like your ideas count for less just because of what’s between your legs. You have respect for men and women, and you expect them to have that same respect for you.
5. You want to be able to take care of yourself. One of your main goals is to be able to sustain a lifestyle you want without anyone’s help. Independence is extremely important to you.
6. You question stereotypes about either sex. You don’t see anything wrong with women in the workplace and men in the home. You get irritated when people imply that you act the way you do because of your sex. No, you’re not in a bad mood because you’re on your period – you’re in a bad mood because you’re clearly surrounded by idiots.
7. You’ve encountered sexism – and hated it. You’re not blind to the fact that our society is inherently sexist. It’s everywhere you look, and it’s inescapable.
8. You believe in equal opportunities. You don’t think you shouldn’t be allowed to do anything just because you’re a woman. Same for men. Everyone should be allowed to do whatever the hell they want – your sex shouldn’t stand in the way of anything. Duh!
9. You think women should be in charge of their own bodies in the same way men are. Women shouldn’t need permission from anyone to have medical procedures done or to access medication – her body, her choice. You also hate how women’s bodies are treated like objects that ‘belong’ to society – the false entitlement is in every gross catcall or comment you’ve ever received.
10. You find it frustrating that a woman is often relegated to how she looks or what she’s wearing. We are so much more than our bodies, the way we dress and how much makeup we wear or don’t wear. So everyone can just pipe down.
11. You know you should be taken just as seriously as anyone without being thought of as ‘bossy’ or ‘a bitch’. You’re not bossy – you’re the boss. There’s a difference.
12. You’re not just about women’s rights – you’re about equal rights for all. Regardless of the fact that ‘feminism’ has a feminine prefix, you understand that it’s not just about women – the fact is just that women are the most marginalised of the two sexes. You want equality for all. It’s as simple as that.