Valentine’s Day is around the corner, and rather than speculate what the ‘perfect’ Valentine’s Day means to men, we thought we’d ask them. From practical gifts to hiking and strip Scrabble, we suspect you’ll find some inspiration.
Here’s what 10 South African men actually want for Valentine’s Day
1 ‘I’ve been with my girlfriend for six years. Every year we alternate who does Valentine’s Day planning – it can become too much otherwise. This year is her turn, and I’d love to spend the day with her doing something we both love. For example, hiking or rock climbing, something like that. Basically a good Valentine’s Day, to me, is one where you get to spend time with the person you love doing something you both enjoy.’ – Darren, 28
2 ‘My girlfriend is an amazing cook, and I always feel really spoiled when she makes a dish she knows I’ll love. I‘m thinking a perfect Valentine’s Day would involve some Thai green curry and sex. I also love sex.’ – Bongani, 30
3 ‘I’ll be honest, neither of us is mad about Valentine’s Day, so we don’t usually celebrate it. If we did though, I think I’d like to go watch some live music somewhere. We met at a concert so I think it would be cool.’ – Nico, 27
4 ‘I’m not a sentimental guy, so rather than exchanging framed photos, my boyfriend and I use Valentine’s Day as an opportunity to give each other practical gifts followed by dinner at one of our favourite restaurants. Last year I got a Kindle and we ate Italian food. It was the perfect day.’ – Dev, 29
5 ‘My perfect Valentine’s Day would be spent not celebrating Valentine’s Day. If the woman I was with really wanted to celebrate it, I obviously would. But I just think it’s so random to put a lot of pressure on one day. We should be treating each other nicely every day.’ – Steph, 26
6. ‘A blowjob and a movie marathon.’ – Samuel, 31
7. ‘My wife and I love a staycation. Instead of spending money on gifts, every year we check in to an amazing hotel in Johannesburg for Valentine’s Day. There’s nothing better than hotel sex.’ – Jared, 33
8. ‘For the last four years, every year I’ve woken up to a letter from my girlfriend. At first, I found it weird because I’d never gotten a “love letter” or whatever, but to be honest I actually love them now. It’s nice knowing that she took the time to put her feelings into words and that I can read them whenever I want. So this year, I’d like another letter.’ – Isaac, 28
9. ‘I’m a purist. I love a candlelit dinner, good wine, and good dessert. I find this combo usually leads to some pretty amazing sex.’ – Shaegen, 34
10. ‘A boozy board games night that involves stripping. Once, my girlfriend and I played strip Scrabble. Any game can be dirty if you use your imagination.’ – K, 29
There you have it! There’s no one-size-fits-all. No matter how you celebrate it (and even if you don’t), may your February 14th be filled with great food, great giggles, and great sex.
Read about love