When we want to know how someone feels about us, we tend to look for the big things – the gifts, the proclamations of devotion and grand gestures. But very often, love manifests itself in the things we look over. They’re underappreciated but they’re as powerful (if not more powerful) than the obvious things. If your guy does these things, you can rest assured that he loves you – even if he isn’t constantly saying it.
1. He wants you to be around for literally everything. He doesn’t want you around just for the parties and the dates and the big events – he wants you to tag along for the walk down to Pick n Pay to get some bread and avos. He wants you there for the random dinner with his cousins. He doesn’t want to watch the latest episode of his favourite series unless you’re there to make comments with him. That’s love!
2. He’s in constant contact with you. People often say that texting is less meaningful than a phone call but think about it – texting is really the only way to stay connected constantly. Just because he’s constantly texting doesn’t mean he’s not taking it seriously. Also, some people feel safer to share their true feelings when they’re not face-to-face or hearing your voice – sharing feelings can be scary! Just because it’s via text doesn’t make it mean less.
3. He allows you to vent. When you’re complaining about your latest drama, your thoughts obviously aren’t on your guy and his role in the whole thing … but think about it. He’s listening intently to an issue that has nothing to do with him. He’s asking all the right questions. He’s not rolling his eyes at your petty problems. And he’s listening – really listening – instead of telling you what you should be doing. It’s pretty obvious that he loves you.
4. He makes your life easier. He insists on doing the dishes after he’s cooked, and doesn’t take no for an answer. He’ll happily do the things he doesn’t enjoy just so that you won’t have to. He doesn’t make a big scene about it or expect anything in return – in fact, he does it so casually that sometimes you forget to appreciate it. Pay attention to those things – they’re all signs of love.
5. You share little moments of affection. He’s not grinding up against you in a club or making out with you in the middle of the mall. But he’ll give you a quick kiss when nobody’s watching, or squeeze your hand under the dinner table. Just because he wants to keep your love more private than public doesn’t mean it isn’t real.
6. He’s not afraid to say he loves you when it overcomes him to say so. He could have said it three times, or three thousand times – it doesn’t matter. It’s not a phrase to be taken lightly. No matter when he says (and whether he shouts it or whispers it), it always sounds honest and sincere.