An absolutely shocking (lol) University of Toronto study found that the fear of being single can make people settle in relationships they aren’t really happy in. No way! Wondering if you might be one of The Settlers? Here are 13 signs that you’re not quite as invested in your relationship as you should be.
1. When you see him, you don’t get particularly excited. It’s more like, ‘Eh, someone decent to do stuff with. Let’s go to McDonald’s.’
2. When you go out with your girlfriends you’re still kind of scoping out the talent – not just scoping, but willing Man-Bun over there on the other side of the bar to approach you.
3. You often find yourself thinking, ‘He’s not, like, amazing, but he’s not the worst. Well, he’s definitely not as bad as the last guy I dated. I wonder what happened to him anyway…’
4. You try to convince yourself that the guy you’re with will change for you. If you want him to change, the relationship isn’t exactly off to the best start.
5. You don’t really see him as a priority in your life. There’s a whole ton of things that are more important to you (and a lot of them are people).
6. Deep down, you know you’re only with him because you don’t want to be alone. Plus all your friends are in relationships, so you should probably be, too…
7. You’ve fallen into a dreary routine and you don’t think it’s worth the effort to escape from the rut. Pyjama pants and series reruns are fun! Plus you’re not required to put any sort of effort into this lifestyle at all.
Related: What Not To Do After A Break Up
8. You think of him as ‘comfortable’ and ‘pleasant’. You think he’s decent company. You don’t really crave anything more than a movie buddy every now and then…
9. …Or you JUST like the physical stuff and nothing else. When he speaks you get kind of angry.
10. You talk about regular stuff – it never gets particularly deep. Preferably, you should be able to connect to the person you’re dating on a deeper level than ‘I had a sandwich’.
Related: Your 7 Day Emergency Breakup Plan
11. Tiny things about him annoy you in a big way. When he insists on putting his arm around you, you cringe. When he does that weird sniffle-thing, you want to punch a wall. If you’re spending half of your date furious, there’s a problem.
12. You’d be willing to end it. In fact, you don’t see it lasting very much longer. And it honestly doesn’t upset you that much – you’re half jealous of your single friends!
13. Everything is just okay. It’s fine. Satisfactory.