There’s something special about dating a guy who loves to cook (and is damn good at it). Whichever asshole said, ‘A woman’s place is in the kitchen’ clearly hasn’t met your man. The fridge is his sanctuary, the stove is his haven… and as a result, you are living your best life. Here are the perks of having a boyfriend who’s an amazing cook.
1. You’ll never be hungry again. He’s constantly coming at you with the fresh banana bread he just baked, or the cheese and onion muffins that are hidden in his freezer. When he says, ‘Do you want a snack?’ you can rest assured that ‘snack’ isn’t just a packet of Nik-Naks. Nope, it’s the leftover Sichuan Hot Pot he whipped up yesterday like it was NBD.
2. It slowly helps you learn your own way around the kitchen. I am a terrible cook. I mean, I have a legit mental block against properly boiling Basmati rice, among other things. But having a boyfriend who knows how to braai and wood-smoke the perfect medium-rare fillet can really teach you a thing or two. Like for example, I now know what a slotted spoon is. Also that it exists.
3. The way to a woman’s heart is through her stomach. Whoever said this applied only to a man clearly hasn’t met me or any one of my friends. Women can be just as influenced by delicious food as men are – and a boyfriend who is always putting new and wonderful dishes in front of you will melt your heart even faster than the gruyere he’s just grated over your Bolognese.
4. Seeing him behind a stove is the sexiest thing ever. Watching someone cook is actually a very entertaining thing to do – it’s why you’re so addicted to Masterchef Australia and have a weird, inappropriate crush on Marco Pierre White. Now, watching bae behind a stove is a whole other thing. For some reason, it is hot AF. Hotter than the gas stove he’s standing over. Hotter than the fresh chilli he’s added to his homemade salad dressing. You could stare adoringly at him for days.
5. You’re the envy of all your friends. When your S/O packs your lunch, people generally think you’re the luckiest person in the world. I’m not entirely sure why this is, but it’s definitely something you’ll notice. When people find out your boyfriend is an amazing cook, you’ll become accustomed to hearing choruses of ‘I wish my boyfriend knew how to cook.’ Now you’ve ruined their day just by existing, you monster.
6. You always have leftovers to take to work the next day. Packing lunch sucks; spending money on lunch sucks even more. If you have a boyfriend who’s cooking delicious dinners every night, lunch will never be a problem again. Just remember that your colleagues will hate you for being so #blessed.
7. You can now host amazing dinners. Before you met him, you would never have risked hosting anything that wasn’t a pizza night. Now, it’s pork belly with crackling, fancy-ass salads and something called ‘corn bread’. The best part? Preparing all the food and decorating the table and pretending to be a grown-up who has her shit together is actually really fun.
8. The fact that he’s always happy to whip something up for you is proof that he knows how ridiculous gender roles are. The last thing you want in life is a man who believes he should bring home the bacon – for you to cook. He’s totally content to be the one who prepares the meals in your relationship. (Besides, you’ve made him some lovely meals before, okay? Really, really nice Greek salads.)
9. He introduces you to so many different things. You never imagined preserved bamboo in Chinese cooking would be your new favourite thing, and yet here you are, shoving the stuff down your throat like you’re an actual panda. Your diet used to consist of all the basics – now, you’ve virtually tried everything under the sun. (Except escargot, because you have to draw the line somewhere.)
10. He’s very good with his hands and he can turn up the heat. 😉
11. You’ll basically never run out of gift ideas. Your boyfriend literally loses his shit when you walk into @home. He wants every utensil, every tool, every cookbook… and there are a lot of things to choose from. You’re basically sorted for every birthday and Christmas for the foreseeable future.
12. He always picks out the best restaurants for date night. Somehow, his love of cooking translates to knowing where all the best spots are. None of that ‘Where should we go tonight?’ ‘I dunno, where do you wanna go?’ Nope, he’s got it all sorted and booked a day in advance. And rest assured, the food will be delicious.
13. Who doesn’t love a guy who can cook? Face it – nobody in the world is going to be all ‘Ugh, he cooks you amazing meals? How annoying.’ It’s a universal truth that everyone loves a person who can whip up a meal using nothing but the five ingredients you have left in your fridge. And you found one that loves you, too.