The right tune can make or break a summer’s day. We’re talking about those trips to the beach with your bestie, boppin’ heads to your summer anthem, breeze blowing through your hair – life is never better than it is in those moments. If you were wondering which tune South Africans made their anthem this year, then look no further than Sunflower by Post Malone featuring Swae Lee.
The track is taken from the new Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse movie soundtrack. Read on if you’re curious about what Saffers were breaking it down to this season.
Spotify asked fans to reveal the songs and artists that would be topping their summer playlists. You guys told Spotify what you thought and now Spotify’s released the official list and it’s mad hot. BTW, Spotify predicted that artists like Drake, with the past success of popular tracks God’s Plan and In My Feelings, or Nasty C, the most streamed local artist by South African audiences at November 2018, would make it onto the list. Fan responses showed they were loving local tracks and artists, with suggestions for summer playlist hits including the likes of Nadia Nakai, Cassper Nyovest, AKA and Major League DJz. Yes to that local flavour!
Here’s what went down this summer on the Spotify scene:
- Drake was knocked off the top spot by Khalid, who took the crown as the most streamed artist by South African audiences
- The most streamed local artists by South Africans included Black Coffee, Nasty C and Mlindo the Vocalist
- New on the list were Ariana Grande, electro-pop singer Halsey and Rae Sremmurd’s Swae Lee
- EDM-pop duo The Chainsmokers made it onto the list at number 15 as fans anticipate their appearance at Ultra South Africa coming up in March.
- On the most streamed local artists’ tracks list – AKA’s Fela In Versace continued to remain popular and was joined by Lady Zamar’s Collide, Mlindo The Vocalist’s AmaBlesser (featuring DJ Maphorisa) and Black Coffee’s Drive (featuring David Guetta).
See the full list of the most streamed artists and tracks below. To enjoy the tracks that proved popular over the South African Summer, head over to Spotify.
The top 10 artists most streamed by South African audiences this summer*
- Post Malone
- Ariana Grande
- Imagine Dragons
- David Guetta
- Swae Lee
The top 10 local artists most streamed by South African audiences this summer*
- Black Coffee
- Nasty C
- Mlindo The Vocalist
- Lady Zamar
- Jeremy Loops
The top 10 tracks most streamed by South African audiences this summer*
- Sunflower (Spiderman Soundtrack) – Post Malone ft. Swae Lee
- Without Me – Halsey
- Happier – Marshmellow ft. Bastille
- Thank U, Next – Ariana Grande
- Eastside – Benny Blanco ft. Halsey, Khalid
- Better – Khalid
- Youngblood – 5 Seconds of Summer
- In My Mind – Dynoro ft. Gigi D’Agostino
- Sicko Mode – Travis Scott
- Drive – Black Coffee ft. David Guetta
The top 10 local tracks most streamed by South African audiences this summer*
- Drive – Black Coffee ft. David Guetta, Delilah Montagu
- Banomoya – Prince Kaybee ft. Busiswa
- Fela in Versace – AKA
- Collide – Lady Zamar
- Monate Mpolaye- – Cassper Nyovest ft. Veties, Thebe, DJ Sumbody
- Vur Vai – Kwesta
- Eyadini – Manqonqo ft. Dason, Saviour Gee
- Malwedhe – King Monada
- Huku – Sho Madjozi
- Amablesser – Mlindo The Vocalist ft. DJ Maphorisa
*Data was ranked based on number of streams, on Spotify, over the period 1 November 2018-31 January 2019
Download the Spotify app via the Android or iOS app store or by heading to www.spotify.com -to Embed Spotify Into A Website – right click on any playlist, go to ‘share’ and copy the embed code.
Connect with Spotify on social media using #SpotifySouthAfrica
This post was sponsored by Spotify.
Read more tech