A girl’s gotta eat, right? COSMO’s got your back with theses easy tips to cut down on your grocery bill without depriving yourself of all that is delicious:
- Never shop on an empty stomach – you’re far more likely to impulse buy and overspend.
- Shop with a plan: have a list with specific meals in mind.
- Take the time to price check. Price tags on shelves should give an item’s price per kilo, gram or similar. This allows you to compare which brands are cheaper for the same product. It also ensures you double check for any promotions or specials.
- Always check expiry dates. The last thing you want is to have to chuck something just after you bought it.
- Buy foods that are in season. According to chef Jacky Cameron, ‘If you have to search for it, you shouldn’t buy it.’
- Avoid bagged fruits and veg, according to food blogger Melissa Delport (@trufflejournal). ‘Opt for the veggies out of plastic. The pre-packaged and chopped vegetables are often more expensive.’
- Use a basket not a trolley – you’ll be pickier if you’re carrying the weight.
- At the till, check item prices. Often you think something is on special, but it doesn’t ring up as such at the till. Ask the cashier why and ask for the discounted amount if it was advertised as such elsewhere.
- Try to avoid daily shopping trips. Not only is this time-consuming, but if you shop weekly with a longer-term plan, you’re more likely to buy fewer ingredients, in bulk, for meals that will last you longer.
Read more career & money