Did someone say totally affordable fun? Yaass!
- Enjoy a gorgeous sunset and live music at Lourensford Estate Twilight Market in Somerset West from 5pm. You can browse the 70+ stands, but if you don’t want to spend a cent, you can still have a great time and and enjoy the chilled vibes and entertainment. Plus, there’s no entrance fee.
- Wine Concepts on Kloof offers free wine tasting midday until 3pm on weekends – cheers!
- Meditate at a drop-in class by Tushita Kadampa Meditation Centre – they offer weekend classes in Durbanville and Somerset West. Payment is via donation; R50 is a good amount.
- Hit up the ever-popular Neighbourgood’s Market on a Saturday for a great vibe and plenty of interesting stalls to browse – enjoyable even if you don’t spend a thing!
- The weekly Sunday Fourways Farmers Market (from 9am) promises plenty of affordable food and drink, plus a great community feel. Expect a nominal R10 entrance fee.
- Every Saturday is karaoke night at the Colony Arms in Randburg, from 8pm. It’s nothing fancy, but it’s plenty of fun. Haul along your besties to ensure you’ve got backup singers.
- Spend a day immersing yourself in important history by visiting Opening the Box: A Glimpse into 20 years of Queer Archiving. The exhibition, at Johannesburg Holocaust & Genocide Centre, is part of GALA’s 20th anniversary celebrations, and closes this weekend on 5th January. Hurry!
- Check out the first I Heart Market of 2018 at the Moses Mabhida stadium from 9am on 6th January. The mantra is #LoveLocal, so expect plenty of regional food and drink. Plus, admission is free!
- Walk through the airy KZN SA Gallery building for free, enjoying its eclectic collection of local artwork.
- An incredible – and enlightening – initiative, Beset Durban is a top-rated, internationally acclaimed organisation promising regular free walking tours around Durban. Sign up to find out about their next one.