Get off your aching butt, wave ‘Bye, bitches!’ and strut out your office. Literally nobody is negatively affected in that beautiful scenario. Here are six reasons to make it your daily reality.
1. If you don’t, everyone will hate you. Harsh – but true. Do you want people to hate you? Didn’t think so. Stop making the people who do take their lunch breaks feel bad about themselves for using the free hour that is literally designated in their contract. Put someone else first, for once. Take your lunch break.
2. Your body is literally begging for it. Humans were not made to sit indoors and in front of a screen all day – not to mention with nothing to breathe but the air from an air-con that probably hasn’t been serviced since the late ‘70s. Do the right thing for your body. Take your lunch break.
3. You’ve forgotten what the sun feels like. Do you remember natural light? Do you remember the smell of grass, the feel of fresh air on your desperate skin? Of course you don’t. You need Vitamin D from more than those health bars you sit and eat in front of your computer. Be at one with the earth. Take your lunch break.
4. You will make that deadline. Why? Because you won’t be zoning out for hours on end due to sheer exhaustion. It’s impossible to concentrate fully for eight hours every day. You will, at some point, find yourself in a black hole of terrible Buzzfeed quizzes. Stepping away from the desk is just what you need to revitalise your mind. Be the most efficient employee your company has ever seen. Take your lunch break.
Related: 6 Places to Find a Job
5. It’s the ideal time to run a quick errand. Why wait until the end of the day to pop into Pick ‘n Pay for a loaf of bread and some lettuce on the way home? You already get home too late as it is! Use your hour to do something that will actually benefit your life instead of letting your days be even longer. Kill two birds with one stone. Take your lunch break.
6. The day will feel less stressful. Going for a walk and a flat white with your work wife is a scientifically proven de-stressor. Well, I’m pretty sure it is. It will totally erase the effects of a hectic workday. Talking about non-work related things can change everything. Have a healthy gossip session. Take your lunch break.