Getting to payday can feel near impossible (hurry up, already!).
Here are some ways to make the wait feel less painful:
- Switch out bought lunches for a loaf of bread that will last you the week and a tub of spread, like Bovril, that’ll last just as long.
- Try to cook in bulk, preparing a meal that’ll last all week. This will save you electricity, reduce the amount of groceries you need and ensure you’ve got food pre-prepped to avoid splurging on takeaways.
- Swap fancy coffees for the office’s free granules.
- Tap water is your BFF! Goodbye, fizzy drinks, expensive juices and takeaway coffees.
- Offer to have friends over (BYOB) rather than meeting them out for after-work drinks.
- Avoid the mall – because window shopping is pure torture when you’re cash-strapped (and you’re tempting fate, right?).
- Eat breakfast at home. Not only is this the healthy thing to do, but you’re likely to reduce cravings for snacks and bought food for the rest of the day.
- Don’t grocery shop hungry! You’re far more likely to buy food you don’t need if you’re nursing hunger pains while you shop.
- Try cash only. Withdraw what you have left until payday and then stick to cash-only payments. You may find you’re more aware of what you’re spending – and your budget – and become better at cutting back on splurging.
- Turn off your data. If you pay-as-you-go, avoid topping up by turning off your mobile data and only accessing the Internet when you’re on free Wi-Fi.
Read more career & money