Since 2005, Delta Air Lines’ employees and customers worldwide have supported the Breast Cancer Research Foundation (BCRF), a nonprofit organisation committed to achieving prevention and a cure for breast cancer. BCRF provides critical funding for cancer research worldwide.
Each year Delta kicks off its month-long campaign to raise awareness and funds for BCRF with its annual ‘Breast Cancer One’ employee survivor flight. This year’s flight flew from Atlanta to San Diego, where survivors raised more than R380 427 for life-saving research.
In honour of the 15th annual ‘Breast Cancer One’ flight, here are 15 facts about this amazing partnership:
- Thanks to research, there are more than 3,5 million breast cancer survivors in the US. Deaths from breast cancer have declined by nearly 40% over the last 25 years. But with 40 000 lives lost to the disease each year, there is still critical work to be done.
- The money raised by Delta employees and customers has funded the work of 67 different breast cancer research projects over the years.
- The donations from Delta employees and customers worldwide currently fund eight innovative researchers, from Paris to Israel and across the US.
- Delta people have raised R255 019 632 for the Breast Cancer Research Foundation since 2005.
- For every dollar that is donated to BCRF, 91 cents is given to research.
- The original pink uniform was created in 2008 and was spearheaded by a Delta flight attendant, Alice Ramsey, to bring awareness to the annual fundraising campaign.
- Delta’s iconic 767-400 pink plane has flown a total of 36 million miles.
- 100% of profits from Minute Maid pink lemonade sold in flight during October is donated to BCRF.
- Delta’s pink plane has visited 19 different countries and 28 airports, with destinations including France, Spain, Italy, Ireland, South Africa, Russia and Greece.
- There are nine different pink uniform pieces for Delta flight attendants and gate agents, designed by Zac Posen.
- Since the launch of the BCRF campaign, R493 356,50 is the largest fundraising amount raised by a Delta employee.
- Breast cancer is the second most common cancer in women and men worldwide.
- Delta originally dedicated the iconic pink plane to BCRF in 2010. Since its creation, the pink plane has had four liveries, with the most recent livery being updated in 2015.
- Each year at the Pink Boutiques, the blanket, jacket, T-shirt and toolset are the top-selling products.
- Over the last three years, over 1,5 million SkyMiles have been donated to BCRF, which directly benefit BCRF’s researchers as they continue to travel across the world for critical meetings and symposiums.
Throughout October, Delta employees will wear pink uniforms and sell pink lemonade and pink headsets on board and in Delta Sky Clubs.
Delta is also donating a percentage of on-board food and beverage sales directly to BCRF during the month of October.
Here’s how you can make a donation
- If you’re flying with Delta, you can support this year’s fundraising efforts by donating to BCRF onboard flights.
- You can also donate online through SkyWish, which allows Delta and its SkyMiles members to donate miles to charitable organisations worldwide.
- When you buy Pink Boutique merchandise online, the proceeds directly benefit BCRF’s research projects and its critical mission of finding a cure.
This post is sponsored by Delta Air Lines.
Read More Life