They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away, so we’ve found seven drool-icious ways to eat apples – one for each day of the week!
THE DROOL-ICIOUS RECIPE
Because we all need to eat our way through a mad Monday every once in a while.
YOU WILL NEED
– 2 firm Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and finely diced
– 3T sugar
– 1t corn flour
– ½t cinnamon
– Puff pastry
– 1 egg, lightly beaten
– Oil for deep-frying
– Icing sugar and vanilla ice cream (to serve)
HOW TO MAKE IT
1. Place diced apple, sugar, corn flour and cinnamon in a bowl, then toss the ingredients to coat the apple pieces. Cover with cling wrap and put in the fridge.
2. Roll puff pastry out to about 3mm in thickness, then cut into 14cm squares.
3. Fill each pastry square with 2 teaspoons of the chilled apple mixture.
4. Brush egg along the edges of each pie, fold pastry over and press together along the edges with a fork. Once all pies are done, place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
5. Fill a medium-sized pot with oil and heat. Test the temperature with a piece of puff pastry – once sizzling, start deep-frying pies in batches of two or three to ensure they cook evenly.
6. When pies are golden-brown, remove from oil and drain on a piece of paper towel. Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve with ice cream. Monday blues, sorted!