After being spotted in a shopping mall in 2011, internationally recognized model, Katryn Kruger has gone on to make a serious name for herself in the fashion industry! And we are beyond excited to have her as part of our panel at the COMSO Make Me Conference!
We caught up with Katryn to find out a little bit more about this local beauty and her exciting career thus far!
Her career in a nutshell:
1. Katryn signed with a modeling agency at the age of 15, after being spotted in a shopping mall.
2. She signed with IMG Worldwide at the age of 16, who represented her in New York, London, Paris and Milan.
3. On her 3rd job, she shot the Prada Resort Look book!
4. Her first fashion show was for Givenchy, as one of the exclusively booked models.
5. She started working full time in 2012.
6. Katryn has done all international fashion weeks (New York, London, Milan and Paris).
7. She has walked more than 50 shows and had the rare honour of opening and closing the show for Valentino.
8. Other names that she has walked for include: Prada, Dolce & Gabbana, Louis Vuitton, Marc Jacobs, Victoria Beckham and Stella McCartney.
9. Katryn has done campaigns for Dior, Oscar de la Renta, and Prada and locally for KLUK CGDT and 466/64.
Dior Campaign 2012
10. She has been on the cover of Elle, Intermission, Numero, W Magazine and Style Norway to name a few.
Take a look at Katryn’s campaigns for Prada Spring Summer 2012 and Oscar de la Renta, which featured another local supermodel, Candice Swanepoel!
Prada Spring Summer 2012
Katryn and Candice for Oscar de la Renta
Who do you look up to in the industry?
In this crazy industry I look up to inspiring people who can find that balance between work and leisure. For this I look up to supermodel Gisele Bündchen and our own Jo-Ann Strauss. I also look up to hard working people and I believe that to be the best, you have to surround yourself with the best… Get together with people who know more than you, who are great in their job, have more experience than you. And learn from the, let them show you how to be better.
What are your career highlights thus far?
My personal highlight in my career would be when I opened and closed the Valentino Haute Couture in 2011. It was the most amazing, on-top-of-the-world feeling! Of course another big OMW-moment was shooting the Prada campaign with legend Steven Meisel. I was only 16 at the time and looking back, I know that this really was the biggest breakthrough for my career. And one more big moment was when I was invited to meet Anna Wintour at her Vogue offices in New York.
The bits and pieces that make her Katryn…
1. I love reading, but I don’t read often. I’ve been meaning to change that…
2. Avocado is my life.
3. If you follow me on Instagram you’ll see that I am obsessed with my dog. Rolo is my 3-year-old Dachshund and he is extremely photogenic.
4. I go frantic with fear when I see geckos.
5. I hate airports and flying. Ironically I flew almost 90 times in one year filling my first passport within that year.
6. My favourite television series are The Big Bang Theory, Modern Family and The Following.
7. Evita is my favourite musical.
8. My boyfriend and I would go for wine tasting in Stellenbosch, and then braai in the backyard. We are cool like that.
9. I am very close with my brother. He is one of my best friends and makes me laugh like crazy seal. He is 15 years old, taller than me (insert gasp) and becoming more and more handsome every day. So proud of my boet!