In a world where we are constantly bombarded with countless pages of misleading information, it’s hard to decipher what is true and what’s not. So here are five beauty myths TOTALLY busted for you!
1) The Myth: When shopping for skin care products, age is an important factor (especially if you have "mature" skin)
The Real Facts: You have to shop with your skin type in mind as not everyone the same age has the same type of skin. If you have oily skin then you need to buy products for oily skin etc. How dry, sun damaged, blemished or thin your skin is has nothing to do with your age. If you shop for your skin type you can’t go wrong.
2) The Myth: Hypoallergenic, dermatologist-tested, and cosmeceutical products are better for your skin than other products.
The Real Facts: A company can label any product ‘hypoallergenic’ as there are no rules or regulations to say that they cannot. There are no accepted testing methods to test whether a products qualifies for being ‘hypoallergenic’. The terms ‘dermatologist-tested’ and ‘cosmeceutical’ are nothing more than marketing gimmicks as they know consumers believe doctors have their best interest at heart.
3) The Myth: There are skin-care products that can work like botox or dermo fillers.
The Real Facts: There is no research to suggest that any products can work in any manner like botox or dermal fillers. Think of it this way, there has never been a single product that has put a plastic surgeon or cosmetic dermatologist out of business. Products that say they do, are more likely to be a waste of money.
4) The Myth: If a company claims to have studies proving a product works, then that means it does work.
The Real Facts: Laboratories set up studies so that the results support whatever the label says. Then these studies are published and used as a marketing ploy. If you think about how many products claim the same thing, then why launch new products? The only difference being that this time around it’s more expensive.
5) The Myth: Dark brown discolourations are caused by age.
The Real Facts: Brown freckle-like discolouration isn’t caused by age, but by years of unprotected sun exposure instead. Sun spots can show up at any age and treating them doesn’t require specific products but it does require certain ingredients such as hydroquinone, niacinamide and forms of vitamin C.