It can be so tempting just to fall into a serious relationship right when you start studying (hello? There are cute guys EVERYWHERE), but the truth is that varsity is the ideal time to be single. Here are 21 reasons why.
1. Sharing a single bed is actually pretty shitty.
2. You only have to worry about your own embarrassing drunk behaviours.
3. You can flirt with whoever you want – and there are a lot of people you’ll want to flirt with.
4. Tinder, and the fun (and funniness) that comes with it.
5. You don’t have to explain anything to anyone.
6. You don’t have to feel bad for having a new crush of the month, or hoping that the guy in your tut will make prolonged eye contact with you.
7. You don’t have to worry about balancing friends and an SO.
8. You don’t have to plan around anyone.
9. You learn to validate yourself.
10. Varsity can be stressful enough without the added drama of a relationship.
11. You don’t have to worry about making sure someone else is happy – you’re allowed to be selfish.
12. You can be in a serious, committed relationship with wine and pizza.
13. Nobody prevents you from having a Girl’s Night.
14. You’re allowed a random hook-up or two.
15. You’ll have the opportunity to get to know yourself properly, without the influence of someone else.
16. You’ll have more time to focus on textbooks instead of his texts, and ace your degree.
17. You have your whole life to settle down – varsity is for experimentation and figuring out what you actually want.
18. Don’t feel like shaving? Don’t.
19. You become more independent (and have more independence).
20. You are your own person. You’ll never just be referred to as ‘Shawn’s girlfriend’.
21. Varsity is for finding your bridesmaids – not your husband.