Six inspiring women on how they’re helping to shift perceptions of beauty – plus, the products you need to recreate their fun-filled, bright-eyed looks at home. This one’s about embracing YOU – time to #BeYOUtiful! Your DIY beauty guide is here.
Anjelika Frye, model: ‘If you don’t like it, then turn away’
‘Loving the skin you’re in is a journey. It’s a daily struggle process. I’ve struggled to embrace the volume of my hair. When I was younger, girls in my school would straighten their hair or relax it in salons, but I didn’t grow up with a lot of money so I couldn’t afford a flatiron.
‘I got teased a lot about my hair, but now I live by this mantra: “If you don’t like it, then turn away.” I’m here to represent beauty honestly by being an individual.’
Get Anjelika’s look
- Prime skin using L’Oréal Paris Makeup Designer Infallible Mattifying Base Primer at Foschini, R232.
- After letting primer dry (ideally 20 minutes), apply your fave foundation – we love Maybelline’s Fit Me Poreless & Matte Foundation at Foschini, R110.
- Now for the fun part! Draw a bold winged line along the lower lash line. Try Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-In-Place Eye Pencil in Electric Cobalt at Foschini, R390.
- Swipe on a layer of mascara to frame your eyes, using Maybelline Push Up Drama Mascara at Foschini, R161.
Kgothi Dithebe, law student/model: ‘Standard ideas of beauty are misconceptions for us as real people’
‘Being beautiful comes from your personality and from being humble. You can be the most beautiful person in the world, but if your attitude towards others is negative, that beauty goes away.
‘I feel a sense of responsibility to make a difference – and I’m doing this by being myself. This encourages other people to embrace who they are.’
Get Kgothi’s look
- A good primer preps skin before you apply makeup, helping product last longer. Start with a thin layer of Smashbox Photo Finish Primerizer at Foschini, R525.
- Now for foundation. On the top of your hand, mix a little of Lancôme Teint Miracle Radiant Foundation at Foschini, R575, with Gosh Lumi Drops at Foschini, R161, for a serious glowy coverage.
- Work the brush on the Smashbox Brow Tech Matte Pencil at Foschini, R345, through brows to comb into place. Then switch to the pencil side and, with short, sharp movements (to mimic brow hairs), fill in any gaps.
- Line your lids in a light-pink shade like Essence Long-Lasting Eyepencil in Life in Pink at Foschini, R29.95. Let dry, then follow with a line of blue on top, flicking out at the end to create a wing shape. We love Urban Decay 24/7 Eye Pencil in Chaos at Foschini, R230.
- Finish with mascara!
Michelle Mosalakae, actress: ‘It’s not always about fitting in’
‘Beauty is all about being authentic and fearless in your own skin. It is something that should come from inside, not what you see on the outside. It’s about how people carry themselves – their inner confidence.
‘Many people seem to think that if you look different there’s something abnormal about it – but it’s not always about fitting in. Being different helps you to be more authentic.’
Get Michelle’s look
- For skin that glows, prime! Massage a primer like Revlon Youth FX™ Fill + Blur Primer for Face/Neck at Foschini, R205, over your face.
- An alternative to liquid eyeliner, dip a thin brush into a creme eye shadow and then apply it to the outer corners of your eyes, Revlon ColorStay Crème Eyeshadow in Blossom at Foschini, R105.
- Then add a touch of glitz by dabbing Revlon PhotoReady Primer, Shadow & Sparkle at Foschini, R265, onto the inner corners of your eyelids.
- Finish with a swipe of Revlon Dramatic Definition Waterproof Mascara at Foschini, R165.
Mariah Mckenzie, model: ‘I have a responsibility to represent women who resemble me’
‘When I was growing up, I didn’t see women who looked like me in magazines, and I’ve always wanted to change that.
‘Beauty is about confidence and being comfortable with who you are. I had a gap between my teeth when I was younger, and because of it I didn’t want to smile. Now I smile all the time, even when there’s no need to.’
Get Mariah’s look
- Apply a layer of Black Opal True Color Pore Perfecting Liquid Foundation at Foschini, R290.
- Then, using L’Oréal Paris Makeup Designer Brow Artist Genius Kit at Foschini, R182, brush out brows and fill in any gaps.
- Now for the eyes! Using Gosh Metal Eyes Eyeliner in Turquoise at Foschini, R111, draw an arc just above your crease towards the outer corners of your eye.
- Now use Smashbox Always On Gel Eye Liner in Bouncer at Foschini, R275, and draw a thin line along your lower and upper lash line to create a winged effect.
- Add mascara and then swipe Clarins Instant Light Lip Comfort Oil at Foschini, R320, onto lips for a moisturising sheen.
Zoliswa Mbadu, fashion student: ‘Being unique is your superpower’
‘The beauty industry has programmed us into thinking that there’s a certain type of look that’s considered beautiful. We need to move away from this negative outlook.
‘As a kid, I was really focused on physical attributes. But as I get older, I realise it’s more about who you are as a person, and your attitude in life. Being unique is your superpower.’
Get Zoliswa’s look
- Freckles don’t need to be covered! So use a light-coverage foundation like Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream Broad Spectrum SPF35 at Foschini, R515.
- Apply mascara, then, using Rimmel Exaggarate Auto Lipliner in Pink a Punch at Foschini, R111, draw thick, bold shapes around your eyes. Using a lipliner amps up the pigment.
- Dab Gosh Lift & Highlight at Foschini, R187, onto cheekbones and blend.
- Finish with layers of mascara, and a dab of Essence Shine Shine Shine Lipgloss at Foschini, R44.95, on lids and lips.
Abongwe Qokela, influencer: ‘Being pretty is internal, not external’
‘My scars were a big thing for me when I was growing up, and I’ve only recently started to fall in love with them. They’re like my trump card: no-one else has them, and they make me stand out.
‘Now I want to create content and show it to the world. It’s my little piece in the bigger puzzle of the fashion and beauty industries.’
Get Abongwe’s look
- Prime skin, then apply Smashbox Studio Skin 15HR Wear Hydrating Foundation at Foschini, R530.
- Using Urban Decay 24/7 Eye Pencil in Goldmine at Foschini, R230, draw extended lines along the outer corners of your eyes.
- Add a layer of Lancôme Hypnôse Doll Lashes Mascara at Foschini, R430, to lashes.
- Finish with a sweep of Rimmel Oh My Gloss! Lipgloss at Foschini, R90.74 onto lips.
By Juana Parathyras and Aphiwe Khambule
Photography: Katinka Bester/Hero Creative Management
Hair: Chantelle Candice Brown/Gloss Artist Management
Makeup: Renee de Wit/Gloss Artist Management