After an eight-hour work shift or a heavy night out jolling with friends, the last thing most of us want to do when we get home is remove our makeup because, honestly, most of the time we’re either too tired or too drunk to do so. But sleeping with makeup on should never be an option –and if you think simply rubbing your face with a cleansing wipe is all it takes to remove your makeup, you’re wrong. There is actually a correct way to cleanse all those layers of foundation, concealer, mascara, lip gloss, eye shadow…
- Cotton pads
- Cotton swabs
- Cleansing water (We love Payot’s Eau Dermo-Micellaire Soothing Cleansing Water, Bioderma’s Sensibio H2O Make-Up Removing Micelle Solution and Garnier’s Micellar Cleansing Water.)
Why should you use micelle solutions to remove makeup?
Micelle solutions are best for women with sensitive skin. They consist of non-irritating ingredients that don’t aggravate the skin. The term ‘micellar’ derives from micelles, which are ‘microscopic oil spheres‘, according to Marieclaire.co.uk. These are found in the solutions above and help absorb and wipe away makeup without stripping away the skin’s natural oil. Using these cleansing waters will leave your skin feeling soft, dewy and moisturised.
- Fold a cotton pad in half and soak one side with cleansing water.
- Then press the damp side onto the right corner of your bottom lip.
- Drag the cotton pad across to the opposite corner, and you’ll see how easily your lipstick wipes off.
- Repeat this on your top lip.
Removing eye makeup
- Dampen a cotton pad with cleansing water.
- Press the entire pad against your eye lid for at least 15 seconds. (During this time the solution will soak up all makeup on the eye).
- After 15 seconds, slide the cotton pad outwards, instead of lifting it up, to completely wipe away any leftover eye makeup.
Removing those cat’s eyes
- Soak a cotton swab in cleansing water.
- Instead of rubbing it across the eye line, rather roll the swab over your liquid liner repeatedly, until it completely fades away.
- Soak a cotton pad with cleansing water.
- Then rub the pad in circular motions around the jawline, cheekbone area, temples and on the forehead.
- Soak a new cotton pad and sweep it along the T-zone to remove makeup and excess oil build-up.
Read more beauty stories
Read more beauty news
Read more skin & makeup