You’re in the shower washing your hair like you normally do… it’s all good, right? Wrong! According to Neville Diamond, lead stylist and manager at Spoilt Hair & Nails Salon, it’s easy to do the wrong thing. To use his metaphor, it’s like riding a bike: it’s hard to describe the exact method, since you’ve been doing it so long.
Here are your foolproof ways on getting the perfect wash routine DOWN:
1) Use a professional shampoo and conditioner from or recommended by your stylist
2) If your hair’s longer than shoulder length, make sure you brush it out first. Use a soft bristle brush.
3) Start by slowly wetting the hair and massaging the shampoo gently in with your fingertips. The shampoo should create a lather; if your hair is very dirty repeat this process twice.
4) Use your conditioner or treatment and follow the step by step instructions presented on the bottle regarding how long to leave it in before rinsing well.
5) Before blowdrying, comb your hair with a wide tooth comb and gently pat dry
6) Never rub your hair vigorously as wet hair stretches
7) Never vigorously brush wet hair as its more likely to break
8) If you have very dry, coarse hair use a leave in detangler
9) Soft, flat and greasy hair also needs conditioner. This can be applied to hair while dry and be shampooed out afterwards thus still leaving your hair silky but not flat and greasy
10) If your hair is highlighted or coloured or chemically enhanced, you need to give it special treatment. Like that super-expensive dry-clean only silk dress – you can’t throw it in the washing machine. You need to follow the instructions on the label. Your hair deserves the same care, a good cut, shampoo and conditioning treatments.
Read more beauty news
Read more skin & makeup
Read more hair