Ah, breakouts. They’re just the worst, aren’t they?! In general yes, but especially if you’ve got something big going on like a job interview or first date!
Maybe your skin is naturally acne-prone or your more-often-than-not clear complexion has gone rogue. Hormones, stress or a slight over-indulgence in sugary treats can wreck havoc on your skin too. Whatever the cause, breakouts are most definitely not a girl’s best friend.
Not to worry though, we here at COSMO Beauty have your back! This is what to do if you’ve just noticed a spot the day before a big event (why cruel world, why?):
1. First off, don’t panic and don’t touch/pick/scratch at the spot, however hard it may be. You might not be able to make the spot disappear completely by the morning, but you will be able to cover it better if it isn’t inflamed, red and scabby (eugh, that sounds terrible). It’s really only okay to pop (again, sorry, that sounds bad too) a pimple once it’s come to a head, otherwise you might be left with bad scarring or an even worse, more red and sore spot.
2. The night before, wash your face with a normal acne-fighting face cleanser. We love Neutrogena‘s Visibly Clear Pink Grapefruit Facial Wash (R74.95) for it’s oil-removing action! Before bed, apply spot treatment (like Benzac AC 5 Gel which contains Benzoyl Peroxide) to leave on while you sleep. This will disinfect and treat the spot while you get your beauty zzzs!
3. Once you wake up and wash off the treatment, apply an ice cube to the spot, alternating 30 seconds on and 30 seconds off. The cold will help to make the bump even less inflamed and raised.
4. Finally, use oil-free or mineral-based products to conceal the blemish. And very importantly, remember to remove your makeup properly at the end of the day to prevent clogged pores and future breakouts.
If you find yourself in a situation where you’re breaking out and have no special treatment on hand, here are some DIY fixes you could find at home:
- Egg whites have been reported to shrink pimples thanks to specific natural proteins they contain
- Lemon juice with a pinch of salt applied to the spot with a cotton bud is also known to shrink spots and reduce redness
- Toothpaste can help control pimples by drying them out and also contains triclosan which prevents the growth of bacteria
And there you have it ladies. Crisis averted! If you have any more beauty S.O.S. situations you’d like us to cover, mention CosmopolitanSA on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter and use the hashtag: #BeautySOS
Read more skin
Read more beauty
Read more beauty news