The new semester is a few short weeks away, and loads of matrics are preparing to enter their university years. If you’re one of them, here are the things you need to know about university (that nobody will tell you).
1. The student housing allocation is akin to The Hunger Games. Nothing is a bigger pain in the boob than trying to get decent accommodation, so may the odds be ever in your favour.
2. University guys are no better than the ones in high school. Sorry – they may be a couple of years older, but they’re equally confusing and you still won’t have any idea what’s going on. And they say women are complicated, lol.
3. You’ll find more people hitting the town (okay, the clubs) on a Thursday than over the weekend. Why? Because varsity students are strange, mythical creatures and we shouldn’t question their motives or lives. Just know you’ll be seeing a lot of stride-of-priders come Friday morning.
4. You’ll develop some sort of caffeine dependency. When those assignments are piling up, something has to get you through. Coffee is the way forward, people. Surrender to it.
5. Maintaining old friendships won’t be as easy as you anticipated. After high school, you and your squad ended up on various campuses across the country. The idea was to talk as much as possible and get together whenever you could – but that requires time, and time’s a luxury you don’t have any more.
6. Study sessions with friends don’t work. Who are you trying to fool? Stop gossiping with a textbook open in front of you and head to the library where you’ll be forced to pay attention.
7. Wine is *a thing* now. This isn’t something that can be explained, but suddenly everyone is super into wine. You were a cider type of girl, but now everyone is trying to drag you down to the bar for a glass of Sauv Blanc. Better brush up on your wine knowledge.
8. Attractive tutors are inescapable. Look, at some point you’ll have a tutor that you lust after – that’s what happens when your tutors are just a couple of years older than you. Try not to get distracted by his perfect face, and impress him with your stellar work.
9. Your university years will be the best of your life. Don’t take them for granted.
Read more from campus