Not all of us can float blissfully through life, believing that every decision we make is perfect. Here are the 10 inevitable things that happen when you think way too much – about everything.
1. Your motto is basically #NeverForget. That time in grade nine when you tripped while walking into assembly? It’s more cringey now than ever. Memories don’t fade – and they swoop in to attack your consciousness when you least expect it.
2. You tend to find meaning in everything. Wait, is that a full stop at the end of his text? Why would he put a full stop? HE NEVER PUNCTUATES HIS MESSAGES! That’s it. He hates you. You might as well compile your playlist of break-up songs because that’s clearly where your life is headed.
3. You’re never 100% certain. About anything. Decision-making is your least-favourite thing because, as soon as you make one, you start considering your other options. Eventually, you’ve convinced yourself that your final decision was actually the dumbest of all your options.
4. After doing anything, you’ll come up with 77383 ways you could have done it better. In hindsight, that important e-mail you sent to your boss could have been perceived as rude. Oh, and now you’re thinking about an awkward conversation you had last week, and all the witty comments you could have made when you were standing there nodding like an idiot.
5. That moment at the end of every day when you’re lying in bed trying to fall asleep? Yip, that’s the worst. Everything that happened today – from the moment you got out of bed this morning – comes rushing back in vivid detail. Your mind is so crowded with thoughts that shutting down seems impossible.
Related: 25 Thoughts You Have While Drunk
6. You’ve heard the phrase ‘You might be overthinking this…’ thousands of times. Even if that’s true, can people just LET YOU LIVE? There’s always more to a situation than meets the eye. Well, probably.
7. Song lyrics mean more to you than any other human. This song on the radio is speaking to your soul. The universe has somehow created this intervention.
8. Social media is harrrrrrd. Posting a tweet or status update causes anxiety. You read over each word a hundred times, and when you eventually post it you get something like an adrenaline rush. Ugh, now you’re thinking about better ways you could have phrased it…
Related: 12 Thoughts Women Have in Their 20s
9. You’re always ‘figuring out’ what people ‘really meant’. You’re not into the whole ‘taking it at face value’ thing. Your friends might be rolling their eyes at you but you know: people always mean more than what they’re saying. It’s not your fault you understand humans so well!
10 Your mind is your worst enemy but also your greatest ally. It can be hard not being able to shut down but your active mind also gives you greater understanding of people and the world. You’re an overthinker but you’re really smart because of it.