1. The friend who is travelling the world like a nomad and you’re pretty sure they’re never coming back ever. But their Instagram is really pretty and sometimes they send you a weird mug from a bathhouse in Germany, so you’re still cool.
2. The friend who just needs to break up with her man already. Or at very least stop showing up with him to girls’ night karaoke because no one needs Vikash here and you specifically said that on the invite.
3. The friend who has a kid and therefore seems slightly like an alien to you now. Like, the kid is cute and it’s cool they have a kid, but also you guys are 25, and how is Megan of the Topless Spring Break 2012 a mom now? HOW?
4. The friend who you are not sure why you are still friends with, but you can’t break free from the shackles of their friendship. At a certain point you just accept that maybe one day you’ll give each other a kidney or something, and it’ll all be worth it.
5. The friend who literally copies every single thing you do because they’re still in the process of ‘finding themselves.’ This is an excellent way to practice being OK with someone having the same shoes as you (because they also have the same pants, same dress, and their boyfriend looks a lot like your ex-boyfriend.)
Related: 14 Signs He’s Your Boyfriend
6. The friend who decides out of nowhere to move to your city and then crashes on your couch for months until they get their lives together and expects you to be OK with it. If you’re lucky, this friend is actually really fun for, like, one night while they’re there and also leaves you chocolate when they leave (like that makes it OK), and then you bitterly eat the chocolate and think about how weird your friendship is.
7. The friend you mostly talk crap about and yet are extremely loyal to. This is basically the friend who every time you mention them, it always ends with, ‘but no, seriously, I love that girl.’
8. The flaky friend who you will literally never hang out with ever again in life. But you will have years long texting conversations about how you should totally get together some time and that’s almost a friendship in some countries.
9. The friend who seriously believes that one day he’ll be fabulously wealthy. But works at the mall and is the laziest person you know. Still, he has some pretty cool wealthy-person dreams and is a really great friend, so you let him think it’ll happen because why not.
10. Your best friend who unfortunately lives in another city and it’s incredibly depressing. Like, it’s great that you have the world’s best relationship, but FaceTiming is not the same as sleepovers and checking out cute boys in the same room instead of texting Tinder photos and trying to remember what time it is there.
11. The friend you have nothing in common with, but you think one day they might hook up a career connection for you. So you casually check in in the most basic, surface-y way every few months juuuust in case.
12. The friend you definitely have an ongoing crush on but would never tell them that because you don’t want to lose their friendship. Plus, you’ve seen the way he treats his girlfriends and yeah, you’re not looking to live that life.
13. Your work friend who you will never, ever see outside of work and when you do, it’s like seeing a teacher outside of school, and you kind of wish you hadn’t tried to make that happen because it’s just way too weird. But also you have no clue what you’d do without them at work.
14. The friend who no matter what is happening in your life will drop everything to make sure you’re OK and have adequate snacks. You could spend time wishing they were all that great, but then that one friend wouldn’t be as special. And you’d probably have way too many snacks, which is an overwhelming concept.
This article was originally published on cosmopolitan.com