To cohabit happily, you have to obey certain rules. These ones are non-negotiable.
1. Thou shalt not (even when drunk/hungover/comfort eating/all of the above) empty the fridge when nothing in there belongs to you.
2. Thou shalt not let your cousin, Fanie, crash in your housemate’s bed, particularly when he has recently drunk a bottle and a half of rum.
3. Thou shalt not leave one square of loo paper on the roll (you’re studying engineering – they are not that hard to replace).
4. Thou shalt not leave ones dirty undies/socks/jocks on the floor of any room if you don’t want them used as Blitz at the next bring-and-braai.
5. Thou shalt not assault the ears of thine housemates by playing ’80s Monster Ballads, ABBA or any version of Video Killed The Radio Star at any time of the day or night.
6. Thou shalt not leave crusty plates, dirty mugs or empty Steers boxes in thine room where rodents and cockroaches will gather and be festive. Just because you pay rent doesn’t mean you can turn your room into a cesspit.
7. Thou shalt not dump above dishes in the sink, either, hoping that the washing-up fairies will sneak into the kitchen overnight and make it all go away.
8. Thou shalt not spend thine rent money on thigh-high leather boots unless the hourly rate for waitressing has gone up big time.
9. Thou shalt not leave anything behind you in the bathroom. This include rings of scum, superfluous body hair, toothpaste in the sink and (it’s gotta be said) skidmarks in the loo.
10. Thou shalt remember that, even when you’re finding your housemates super annoying, chances are they have issues with you, too. It’s all about give and take and open lines of communication. Hold house meetings often when you each get to vent. Then, make a point of enjoying these diverse people who are crossing your path for the briefest moment in time.
To personalise your digs’ house rules, download our template and come up with your own house rules for happy cohabitation.