When it comes to nail care, prevention is better than cure. Keep your nails perfect with these simple tips.
• Do coat the outside of the nails with polish or ridge fillers to help protect the nail and prevent breaking and splitting.
• Don't push the cuticle back too far, and trim only the part that has started to lift away from the nail.
• Do clean all nail implements and change your nail file often. Bacteria and other microbes can get transferred by the nail tools you use, causing infection or harm to the matrix.
• Don't use your fingernails to open letters. This destroys the cuticles, which destroys the nail matrix and affects nail growth and strength.
• Do apply hand cream frequently, especially after you're done washing your hands, and pay attention to the cuticle area.
• Don't overuse nail-polish remover. Use a minimal amount on the nail, and avoid getting too much on the cuticle and skin.
• Do wear gloves to protect nails and cuticles from housework, gardening and washing dishes.
• Don't leave an ingrown nail untreated, as infections can cause long-lasting damage to the nail. Disinfect the area regularly, and if the infection persists visit your GP.