Red lipstick is a bold colour choice, so the last thing you want is for it to smear onto your teeth without you knowing. Choose a lipstick finish you know won’t smudge or shift after a few glasses of wine. Stay clear of red glosses or red cream lipsticks; rather use matte or satin finishes. Liquid lipsticks are also a good place to start.
Rouge lipsticks worth buying:
- MAC Liptensity Lipstick (R300) Life’s Blood
- CLINIQUE Pop Matte Lip Colour + Primer (R295 at Red Square) Ruby Pop
- NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream (R110 at Clicks) Monte Carlo
- SMASHBOX Be Legendary Matte Lipstick (R280 at Red Square) Infrared
- ESTÉE LAUDER Pure Color Envy Matte Sculpting Lipstick (R395) Volatile
- REVLON Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor (R155 at Clicks) Love
Red lipsticks tend to be heavily pigmented (for obvious reasons), but some are so intensely saturated that they can temporarily stain skin when applied or swatched. Our tip? Always make sure you wear a thin layer of lip primer or balm underneath the colour, especially with liquid lipsticks. This creates a barrier over the surface of lips, preventing lipstick from staining them. A good lip primer will also provide moisture and nourishment, giving you a more comfortable lipstick wear.
We really love:
MAC Prep + Prime Lip (R290)
And our go-to lip balms:
- ELIZABETH ARDEN Eight Hour Nourishing Lip Balm SPF20 (R215 at Red Square)
- CLARINS Instant Light Natural Lip Balm Perfector (R290 at Red Square)
- For those on a tighter budget, MAYBELLINE Baby Lips Moisturising Lip Balms are amazing and super-affordable. They’re available at Clicks for R47,95 in a variety of tints and flavours, so take your pick!